Job Title: : Lead Studio Technician ( Digital Media Lab), Artscape Daniels Launchpad
Position Type: Full-Time
Department: Creative Studios
Reporting to: Manager, Facilities & Studios
Direct Reports: None
Indirect Staff: Part Time Studio Technicians
The Lead Studio Technician is responsible for the safe, efficient, and effective functioning of the Digital Media Lab (including the Photography Studio, Sound Recording Studio, VFX Studio, Edit Suites), based upon established Artscape Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), and under the direction of the Manager, Facilities & Studios. Responsibilities include appropriate use of the Studios by members, and providing both operational and member support for the use of tools and equipment, health and Safety, technical programs, inventory. Along with ensuring a safe and inclusive environment, supporting the execution of products, and facilitating creative pathways to other ADL studios and services.
Artscape Daniels Launchpad (ADL) is the first Creative Entrepreneurship Centre that will be opening in Toronto later in the year. The ADL Creative Studios department is composed of specialized studio facilities covering a wide range of creative disciplines, including textiles and fashion, fine metals and jewelry, digital media, woodworking, electronics, digital fabrication, and photography. Each studio in the department is specially designed to achieve optimum use of state of the art creative equipment.
The Lead Studio Technician will report directly to the Manager, Facilities & Studios, and will collaborate frequently with other Studio Technicians (both part-time and full-time), as well as other departments such as Operations, Memberships, Events, Programs, and Partnerships.
This position is ideal for a highly creative, imaginative candidate with strong technical and creative knowledge, interpersonal skills, with an interest in and aptitude for providing both operational and practitioner support. To be successful in this role, you’ll be an expert in understanding photography studios, sound recording studios, VFX studios and editing suites.
- Install equipment for the Photography Studio, Sound Recording Studio, VFX Studio and the x2 Edit Suites
- Perform maintenance, storage, and cleaning of Photography, Sound Recording, VFX/video production, editing/post-production tools, equipment, and studio spaces - ensuring health and safety standards are complied with, and in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Facilitate the delivery of member creative projects by providing effective instructional support for use of tools and equipment within the studios to ensure appropriate use of the studios by members in the following labs:
- Photography : cameras and video cameras (DSLR, mirrorless, large format), lenses, lighting (LED, Strobe, Chimera, soft boxes, bounces, light meter), backdrops, tripods, mics, and sound mixing/monitoring
- Sound Recording : mics, cabling, stands, A/D interfaces, mixing boards, patch bays, outboard/software compressors, filters, EQs, plugins, time code generator, monitors, cue headphone monitoring, mac/PC computers, data management, recording software (Pro Tools, Logic), and instrument backline (drums, guitar/bass amps, keyboards);
- VFX Studio : video switchers, mixing boards, mics, lighting (LED, Strobe, Chimera, soft boxes, Fresnel lenses, cycloramas, Kino, barn doors, bounces, light meter), Hyperdeck SSD recorders, routers, patch bays, ISO recording, time code sync gen, video cameras (broadcast, mirrorless, DSLR), monitors, headphones, mac/PC computers, data management, recording software (Pro Tools, Logic, FCPX), and AR/VR development kits.
- x2 Edit Suites : monitors, mixers, headphones, mics, A/D interfaces, mac/PC computers, data management, and recording software (Pro Tools, Logic, FCPX, Adobe Creative Suite)
- Fully understand, and help communicate to members and staff, Health and Safety standards and protocols, appropriately tracking necessary documents and processes for both members and staff (adhering to JOHSC compliance)
- Collaborate with ADL’s technical consultants and in-house staff to develop studio-specific operations checklists and manuals maintaining compliance with internal procedures and health, safety and building regulations
- Contribute to the development of technical curriculums for the Studio Technical Programs, and based on these curriculums, provide technical instruction and evaluation of members on the safe, efficient, and effective use of tools and equipment within the Studios
- Keep an up-to-date inventory of all materials and equipment within the Studios, ensure all materials are in compliance with the Ontario Health and Safety Act, and facilitate sales to members, as well as tracking, and ordering of materials
- Propose Standard Operating Procedures to the Manager, Facilities & Studios to be finalized and rolled out to all technical staff
- Maintain and track training of Standard Operating Procedures for Studio spaces for all users
- Facilitate a sign in-out and/or rental system for equipment
- Collaborate on creating and maintaining a database of external technical specialists as a resource for members
- Monitor member capacity in the Studios and update booking calendars making suggestions for process efficiencies and optimizing studio time for members across studio disciplines
- Serve as a point of contact for member inquiries regarding bookings and technical issues pertaining to the studios
- Provide technical support for, and connect members to, Launchpad staff and resources (including other Launchpad studios)
- Maintain a respectful and mindful studio culture in shared spaces that emphasizes best practices, professionalism, proper stewardship of equipment and resources, and upholds all Artscape policies and procedures
- Gives direction to Studio Technicians on behalf of the Manager, Facilities & Studios
- Responsible for staying current on traditional and digital equipment, tools, materials, and processes
- Identifies efficiencies and improvements in work processes that benefit organization-wide
- Undertake administrative duties as required
- 3-5 years practical experience as a studio technician in photography, sound recording, VFX/ video production, post-production studio spaces, and/or an equivalent combination of professional experience and training
- Must possess strong knowledge of art, design, creative studio production, and experience in various technical studio needs.
- Must possess a high level of experience, knowledge, skills, and expertise, in the tools, equipment, and processes used in both sound recording and VFX/video production studios, with an aptitude and willingness to quickly learn the skills necessary to effectively serve as technician for a photography studio and post-production edit suites
- Technical knowledge in one or more of the following is a major asset: music theory, musicianship (knowledge of one or more instruments) and musical performance, woodworking, electronics, fashion/textiles, and metalworking/jewelry
- Comfortable juggling multiple and/or conflicting priorities, and a rigorous and empathetic communicator, collaborator, and troubleshooter
- Experience using software, and digital design tools associated with the sound recording, VFX/ video production, photography, post-production industries, such as Pro Tools, Logic, FCPX, Capture One, plugins, amp modelling, and Adobe Suite, as well as strong knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Defaults to planning and processes, but comfortable in chaos and rapid timelines
- Fluent in verbal and written English, with knowledge of a second language considered an asset
- Strong ability to assist members working in an interdisciplinary manner from concept to fabrication
- An understanding and interest in the research and work necessary to create more sustainable practices in this field, including familiarity with wide range of materials
- Experience with digital fabrication technologies related to art and design practice, and general electronics experience
This position will require moving and lifting of raw materials and equipment up to 50 pounds.
This position also requires the willingness to work evenings and weekends when requested.
- Proven experience and commitment to customer service in facilities with high volume use, as well as highly organized, with clear written and verbal communication
- Experience in and commitment to fostering a collaborative and inclusive work environment supporting a diverse range of practices and backgrounds
- Proven track record of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training, and aesthetic sensibilities in a creative environment
Please respond with:
- Specify where/how you found out about the opportunity
- Your salary expectations
- A resume
- A cover letter outlining the qualifications and experience you would bring to the position and how you found out about the employment opportunity
Please note: Submissions must include all requirements listed above, including your salary expectations. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Applications will be received in confidence by mail or email and should be forwarded to:
Attention: Human Resources
Suite 224, 171 East Liberty Street
Toronto, ON M6K 3P6
firstname.lastname@example.org (please note your name and the job title in the email subject line)
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants, however only those being considered for an interview will be contacted directly.
Artscape is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusiveness in all its work. We work proactively to be fair and equitable in practice and to build diversity into our teams, creative communities, programs and services.
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, accommodation will be provided at any point throughout the hiring process, provided the candidate makes their accommodation needs known to Artscape.