Are you passionate about reaching new heights, teamwork and making a meaningful contribution? Do you picture yourself as a valued member of an industry-leading organization? If you answered yes to these questions, Air Canada is seeking enthusiastic individuals to join the diverse and vibrant team working together to lead the growth and expansion of Canada’s flag carrier.
Data Scientists and Operations Research Scientists at Air Canada work on problems that are core to the company’s mission. Major challenges include developing systems and models to best match the Air Canada’s business operations to the highest standards on quality and safety. In addition to developing the company’s core technologies, the AI CoE team provides decision support analysis for many teams across the organization including product development, road mapping, on-going support and strategy. Data scale ranges from small data sets to large multi-terabyte organizational information in distributed database systems.
We’re looking for experienced analytics professional with a strong technical background, leadership instincts, and managerial skills. You would be growing and leading a talented team of Data Scientists. This would entail helping to develop quarterly roadmaps, managing several simultaneous projects, mentoring and fostering individual career development, and coordinating closely with other stakeholders across the company. This position requires excellent communication skills, business instincts, and a “get-it-done” mentality to ensure that results are delivered while also encouraging creativity and innovation.
- Mentor Data Scientists and provide technical direction
- Work with Data Science and Product leadership to devise product and technical roadmaps
- Manage scope and pace of execution across multiple projects for high quality and on time delivery
- Remove obstacles and enable teams to work productively in a constructive environment
- Develop creative solutions to diverse problems including engineering challenges, unstructured data messes, ontology development, and machine learning applications
- Lead and develop major projects from end-to-end encompassing planning, design, technical implementation, debugging, roll-out to Product & Engineering, testing, and iteration
- Operate at level of sophistication in statistics, machine learning, or computer science that is publication-worthy
- Regularly monitor pull requests, perform code reviews, and produce excellent peer reviews on projects prior to shipping to Product & Engineering
- Evaluate and experiment with new technologies and tools prior to wider adoption by the team
- Work closely with Analysts, Data Scientists, Project Managers, and Data Engineers
- 5-7+ years of industry experience in data science or similarly quantitative roles
- 3-5+ years of prior management experience
Master's degree in any science, math, or related field
- Strong project management skills and a passion for teaching and mentoring
- Strong business and product instincts
- Excellent verbal communications, including the ability to clearly and concisely articulate complex concepts to both technical and non-technical collaborators
- Experience effectively turning research results into applications and features that drive business impact
- Proficient with relational databases (e.g. SQL), Python, R, Linux Shell scripting
- Experience with machine learning and computational statistics packages
- Experience with visualization tools
- Frequent user of cloud computing platforms such as Amazon Web Services or Microsoft Azure
- Bonus Points: Certified Analytics Professional
Bilingual (English and French)
Diversity and Inclusion
Air Canada is strongly committed to Diversity and Inclusion and aims to create a healthy, accessible and rewarding work environment which highlights employees’ unique contributions to our company’s success.
As an equal opportunity employer, we welcome applications from all to help us build a diverse workforce which reflects the diversity of our customers, and communities, in which we live and serve.
Air Canada thanks all candidates for their interest; however only those selected to continue in the process will be contacted.