AGAT Laboratories is a full-service laboratory with locations across Canada. We are the most diversified laboratory in Canada. Our scientists are highly-skilled and specialized in the fields of biochemistry, chemistry, microbiology, geology, engineering and other specialty services. With a broad range of staff experience and state-of-the-art instrumentation, we provide cross-analytical solutions for the Environmental, Energy, Mining, Transportation, Industrial, Agri-food and Life Sciences sectors.
Description: This position will work out of our laboratory facility on Suncor's sites in the Wood Buffalo Region in Northern Alberta. This is a camp based position and requires travel from either Edmonton or Calgary to reach the work site on a fly-in / fly-out basis.
- Perform regular Preventative Maintenance of instruments
- Perform Calibration and verification of instruments
- Troubleshoot and fix analytical instruments
- Perform Method Validation on new and existing analytical instruments and methods, including preparation and review of standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Ensure effective laboratory operations, including the following: client service, housekeeping, safety, quality and environmental practices
- Ability to resolve operational issues professionally in absence of Supervisor
- Ensure that laboratory procedures are:
- Documented in the form of SOP's,
- Properly taught to the laboratory staff,
- Being adhered to by staff and laboratory personnel,
- Enforced by non-conformance procedure * Communicate general laboratory issues through meetings or formal communications with appropriate staff/laboratory personnel
- Establish and coordinate special projects and provide technical assistance to supervisors.
- Act as a liaison between Supervisor, client services and lab staff
- Raise non-conformance investigation requests to the Quality Assurance Officer for any nonconforming event, as deemed necessary
- Assist Supervisor, as required
- Carry out laboratory analytical testing in accordance with documented SOPs or recognized standard reference methods
- Perform other duties, as required by management
- B.Sc. in Chemistry or Chemical Technology Diploma
- At least 1 year in an analytical lab environment
- Experience with routine oil sand, water and oil testing is an asset, i.e. pH, Alkalinity, Titration, Conductivity, IC, ICP-OES, Sulphur by Xray, density, viscosity, KF, dean and stark
- Intermediate computer skills - MS Office, LIMS
- Safety oriented
- Ability to work in a team environment and mentor other technician
- Some lifting and carrying (up to 10 kgs)
- Willing to work overtime.
- Able to work evenings and weekends
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Fly-in fly-out from the Edmonton or Calgary
- Working in a camp environment; camp accommodations will be provided
- Travel to and from site will be provided
- Shifts are 12 hours long; Traveling time is not included, Statutory Holidays are Working Days
- Rotating schedule - 1 week in camp and 1 week out
Working Conditions: This position requires a person to stand, sit and lift throughout the shift in a laboratory environment. Manual dexterity is required to perform repetitive tasks. PPE is required where applicable.
AGAT Laboratories would like to thank all applicants; however only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Send your resume and your cover letter in Word or PDF format via http://www.agatlabs.com/careers. Please indicate in the comments line what position you are applying for.
AGAT Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and work environment. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the hiring manager of any accommodations that are required. Any information received relating to accommodations will be treated as confidential.
Thank you for your interest in AGAT Laboratories.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Fly-In/Fly-Out
- analytical lab environment: 1 year (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)