AGAT Laboratories is a full-service laboratory with locations across Canada. We are the most diversified laboratory in Canada; our scientists are highly-skilled and specialized in the fields of biochemistry, chemistry, microbiology, geology, engineering and other specialty services. With a broad range of staff experience and state-of-the-art instrumentation, we provide cross-analytical solutions for the Environmental, Energy, Mining, Transportation, Industrial, Agri-food and Life Sciences sectors.
Lab Manager - Mining
This is a senior position in the Laboratory. The Lab Manager is responsible for all staff and Laboratory Operations. The Lab Manager will accomplish organizational goals by accepting ownership and leadership for the Lab.
- Ensure effective laboratory operations, including: client service, security, housekeeping, human resources, troubleshoot instrumentation, safety, and quality and environmental practices.
- Demonstrate organizational leadership: delegate and empower subordinates appropriately; lead by example.
- Contribute to the fiscal aspects of their operation including reviewing operating budgets, evaluating performance and taking corrective action when required.
- Review/evaluate or resolve/rectify: a) perspective candidates for hire, b) professionalism and attire of staff and laboratory personnel, c) the environmental condition of the laboratory facility and building, d) laboratory staff performance.
- Ensure that policies and procedures are being followed.
- Communicate general laboratory and client issues to the laboratory through meetings or formal communications.
- Approve/disapprove staff timesheets, vacations, absences and purchase requisitions in accordance with AGAT Laboratories' policies and procedures.
- Ensure that laboratory procedures are documented, properly taught to laboratory staff, being adhered to and enforced Communicate and resolve any issue or event that impacts laboratory operations or client relations.
- Raise nonconformance investigation requests to the Quality Assurance Officer Oversee and ensure that client calls/ CPM requests are handled in a diligent manner.
- Complete follow-up communications on client calls and CPM requests Review and respond to all Customer Review Forms in a timely manner.
- Facilitate communication with other departments and management to resolve issues.
- Identify and implement strategies to improve quality of analysis, productivity and profitability.
- Assist in preparation of technical data and present information as needed.
- Provide constructive performance feedback to both staff and management to elevate the client experience.
- Make recommendations to senior management concerning staff and improvement of procedures.
- Remain current on all aspects of the department and explore value add opportunities.
- Liaise between Client Services and Operations, Sales and QA.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Communications proficiency both verbal and written.
- Technical capacity. Knowledge of the analysis performed in the Mining Lab
- Leadership, Coaching, Mentoring.
- Foster teamwork. Ability to inspire and work within a group towards a common goal.
- Ability to think strategically and to lead by example.
- Results driven.
- Ability to delegate and follow up.
- Emphasizing excellence.
- Attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Managing and improving processes.
- Effective staff planning.
- Strong customer centric focus.
- Technical Background in Science.
- 5 + years' experience in analysis
- Thorough knowledge of method validation, creation and revision of laboratory SOPs.
- Experience in the use, calibration and troubleshooting of various instruments
- Knowledge of QA/QC procedures, ISO 17025 standards, CALA accreditation and proficiency testing required.
- Experience managing laboratory accreditation will be considered a strong asset.
- 2+ years in a managerial or supervisory role.
- Proficient computer skills (Outlook, Microsoft Office Suite).
The position requires a person to sit/stand for prolonged periods of time in an office/laboratory setting. Manual dexterity is required to perform this role.
AGAT Laboratories would like to thank all applicants; however only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Send your resume and your cover letter in Word or PDF format via http://www.agatlabs.com/careers. Please indicate in the comments line what position you are applying for.
AGAT Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process and work environment. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the hiring manager of any accommodations that are required. Any information received relating to accommodations will be treated as confidential.
Thank you for your interest in AGAT Laboratories.
Job Type: Full-time
- laboratory analysis: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor's Degree (Preferred)