At AFSC, we recognize that the key to our success is our people. As a progressive and rapidly changing organization, we continue to develop and nurture our reputation as a great place to work and are always looking for skilled individuals to join our team in one of our 44 offices located throughout Alberta.
***This position has an anticipated end date of March 2020***
Reporting to the Manager, IT Infrastructure, this position performs front line systems diagnostics and monitoring as part of the IT infrastructure team and assists in problem resolution of AFSC's Technology Infrastructure.
This position coordinates with Information Technology department personnel for second and third tier support. Assignments may require the incumbent to work outside of AFSC's normal business hours.
Assignments require constant interaction with other IT as well as business teams. Competing priorities demand the incumbent to be able to re-prioritize frequently, and to do so with tact and sound judgment. In a fast-changing environment, proactive workday planning in combination with superior negotiation skills will be required to adapt to the changing initiatives discussed with the change advisory board together with the other teams, who all draw on Infrastructure's foundational nature.
- Resolving accurately assigned Service Desk calls within the agreed service levels and ensuring call notes are accurate, complete and updated on a daily basis
- Participating in problem management activities to determine root-cause and implement solutions to maximize reliability of infrastructure systems
- Providing on-call support
- Provide status updates as required
- Participate in disaster recovery exercises
- Perform vendor management for hardware remediation
Quality Assurance & Testing
- Providing quality assurance for Infrastructure deliverables and project deliverables to be transitioned into baseline support
- Providing quality assurance of installation documentation, implementation plans to make changes to the infrastructure environment
- Provide unit testing of applications installed on baseline server image
Other Infrastructure Operations
- Following infrastructure operations procedures for implementing changes into the infrastructure environment and producing deliverables as required
- Manage public and private cloud based systems
- Install servers as per capacity requests
- Recommend server system changes and enhancements
- Develop and support installation/implementation planning
- Manage VMWare virtualization platform in a shared responsibility
Internal & External Collaboration
- Collaborates with other IT team members to resolve opportunities affecting the project
- Collaborates with Server Administrators, IT Network Administrators and Database Analysts on methods and processes to improve delivery
- Collaborates with IT Maintenance and Operations staff on operational matters
- Collaborates with project managers on project related matters
- Collaborates with business representatives on post maintenance validations
- Actively participate in the Community of Practice (CoP), collaborating with peers on processes, standards, best practices, efficiency improvements in a collaborating capacity
- Some understanding of Microsoft and Linux operating systems, DNS, NTFS permissions
- Good experience with latest versions of VMware virtualization technology including vSphere replication, SRM and vROPS
- Practical understanding of SAN Storage
- Practical understanding of networking technology - routing, subnets, UDP, TCP, IP, & VLANs
- Experience with APC UPS backup solutions
- Some experience with using infrastructure and application monitoring software
- Some understanding of certificate technology
- Working knowledge of Microsoft and open source web servers
- Understanding and/or experience with backup software and recovery strategies
- Configure and maintain monitoring and management solutions.
- Experience with server configurations
A degree or diploma in Computer Science or Technology coupled with 6+ years of IT systems administrative experience, with total combined education and experience of 10 years.
A degree or diploma in Computer Science or Technology coupled with 1-2 years of IT systems administrative experience.
Certifications specifically related to areas of expertise are highly desirable. Experience working in a multi-vendor environment is considered a definite asset.
This role requires demonstrated knowledge and experience with a variety of infrastructure administrative methodologies and technologies. Proficient communication, interpersonal and leadership skills are required to collaborate with AFSC business resources and the development team. The capacity to work with cross-functional teams to accomplish project and program goals is required as is the ability to maintain project and resource plans, adjusting based on priority changes is required.
For those not meeting the minimum education, additional related work experience may be considered as equivalencies.
Pro-active in continued professional and personal skill development is an ongoing expectation.
$4,673 - $8,953 per month