1QBit is dedicated to solving the world’s most intractable challenges by recasting problems to harness the power of quantum computing. We identify intractable industry problems and apply breakthroughs in computation to machine intelligence and optimization science to build software that allows applications to continually benefit from advances in both quantum and classical hardware.
We believe that quantum technologies will form the next pillar of computational progress. We research, benchmark and build software development kits, online platforms, and applications that make the power of quantum computers accessible to researchers, developers and industry-leading organizations so they can solve their most difficult problems in fields such as optimization, simulation, and machine learning.
As an interdisciplinary team of world-class mathematicians, physicists, operations research scientists, computer scientists, software developers, computational chemists, and quantum computing experts, we share a curiosity and drive to uncover new ways of solving currently intractable problems using advanced classical and quantum systems.
Our work is guided by a shared set of values focused on five fundamental principles:
- Audacity – A drive to pioneer and apply new methods. To dream without limit and then do the hard work of bringing your ideas into reality.
- Open Thinking – A belief in the sharing of ideas. To approach each exploration with a receptive mindset and collaborate openly to produce the best possible results.
- Interdisciplinary Collaboration – A respect for the diversity of people, backgrounds, and skills. A wide range of perspectives reveals a more complete landscape and yields deeper insights.
- Ownership – A feeling of pride in the work of the team and a deep sense of purpose and accomplishment from your contribution.
- Beginner’s Mindset – A desire to improve as an expert while retaining the curiosity and openness that inspired you to begin.
As a member of our Optimization Team, your mission is to develop algorithms and tools for solving hard, real-world optimization problems. In collaboration with other researchers and with software developers, you will utilize your background in computational physics and statistical physics to develop and improve physics-based algorithms. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work with the world’s most advanced classical computing hardware architectures to design powerful computing solutions, and to develop new tools and techniques for applications to interface with and maximize the utility of new processing capabilities.
“Why 1QBit?”, you might ask… Well, as the first company dedicated to the development of quantum computing software, we are defining and transforming how the industry evolves.
If being a pioneer is not enough, you also have the opportunity to work on some of the world’s most challenging computational problems in the areas of optimization, machine learning, and simulation.
- Investigate and analyze optimization algorithms to solve real-world problems originating from industrial applications
- Contribute to the design of new algorithms or improve current algorithms in the 1QBit software development kit
- Build modular, extensible, well-commented, and tested prototypes for new computational solutions
- Conduct and analyze systematic experiments to evaluate your ideas for algorithm development through computational analysis
- Communicate your findings through the authoring of scientific research papers, technical documents, and presentations
- Participate in peer feedback through the sharing of knowledge and code reviews
Members of our team bring a confluence of personality, skills, and intent that contribute to their individual development and our collective growth as an organization. The knowledge and mindset you bring to our team include the following:
- A PhD or a master’s degree in physics, with at least 2 years of experience in a similar role. Alternatively, a degree in a similar field such as mathematics or optimization and hands-on experience in a similar role will be considered
- Applied knowledge of software and algorithm design, data structures, and complexity analysis
- Proficiency in creating well-designed, efficient, reusable, and robust prototypes in at least one programming language, such as Python or C/C++
- Familiarity with debugging and profiling tools
- Experience in designing, performing, and analyzing computational experiments
- Familiarity with optimization algorithms and statistical methods
- A strong track record of formulating and solving complex problems
- The ability to conduct research in an interdisciplinary environment, both independently and as part of a team
- The ability to convey technical concepts and considerations to non-experts
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, organization, and leadership skills, and experience writing scientific research papers and technical documents
- Self-motivation and the ability to take initiative and follow through reliably
- A drive to proactively seek out opportunities to help move projects forward and contribute to their improvement
- An openness to soliciting feedback to improve your performance and, in turn, continually providing input to team members to elevate team performance and contribute to 1QBit’s culture
- An eagerness to learn about new trends, tools, and technologies, and to continually consider how these will influence our projects, including their implications and opportunities
- A dedication to maintaining team unity and success through open communication
- A commitment to challenge the status quo, take smart risks, and be open to possible failure
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with both technical and non-technical team members
- A philosophy of continuous improvement and a passion for the sharing of knowledge
- Strong organizational skills, and the ability to manage tasks and meet deadlines
Not a must, but nice to have:
- Familiarity with Monte Carlo methods, including simulated annealing and parallel tempering (replica exchange)
- Familiarity with quantum annealing and/or gate model quantum computation
- Familiarity with machine learning techniques
- Experience in modelling industry problems as abstract mathematical models
- Experience with non-CPU hardware (such as FPGAs or GPUs)
- Familiarity with high-performance computing, parallel computing, MPI, etc.
- Experience working on client-facing projects
You share our belief that principles, not policies, enable individuals and teams to apply their unique lens in making decisions. Like all 1QBit team members, you thrive in our flat hierarchy of empowered individuals. You embrace the rigorous examination of thoughts and work of diverse minds from multiple disciplines because you know it uncovers deeper insights and produces robust results. You believe there is no failure in exploration because new breakthroughs often require rigorous examination of multiple paths before a conclusion is reached. You have a desire to apply yourself to purposeful work that is inspiring, meaningful, and fun, to create value for the world by advancing the ability to solve complex problems. You have a relentless curiosity for exploring new methodologies and you have an intrinsic drive to architect the foundation of the quantum ecosystem because you love the challenges and understand the rewards that the next paradigm of computation will bring.